Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Autumn, Cold and Flu Season, and Lupus


Autumn is my favorite time of year, with it's electric orange leaves, crisp mornings, and glowing autumn light that makes everyone's complexion look rosy. It's one of my favorite times to take a walk in the woods. It's also the beginning of cold and flu season, that part is not my favorite. Holiday parties and family gatherings this time of year seem to be a transfer station for the most recent cold or flu. We might have the sniffles, but we don't want to miss out on Thanksgiving or Christmas with the family, maybe we don't even know that we are sick yet, so we go anyway.  

I received my flu shot early this year; in fact I was the first employee at a company that employs over 4000 people.  The employee nurse had to break open the box vaccines for me. I'm also up to date on my Pneumonia vaccine and I'm an avid hand washer. I'm as prepared as I can be.

I'm still concerned because illness and infection is a trigger for my Lupus flares. As a Lupus sufferer, when illness, infection, physical trauma, physical or mental stress, or sunlight, can kick my immune system on in an attempt to eradicate the threat. However, this autoimmune disease makes my immune system kick into super duper high gear, but it has a faulty targeting system.  It targets things in my body other than the virus, infection, etc. It actually tries to kill healthy portions (tissue and organs) of my body, seeing it as a threat to be eradicated. When this happens it's called a Lupus flare, and it can be uncomfortable, painful, debilitating, serious, and even life threatening. So how do I try to keep myself healthy and safe, but not sequester myself from life? How do I limit my risk of illness and infection to reduce the risk of Lupus flare? 

This time of year, the cold and flu season, the holiday gatherings complete with hugs and handshaking. The potential for illness and the potential Lupus flare kind of scares me. There is also the potential for misunderstanding between my friends and family, when I don't hug or shake hands, or I may even choose not to participate in the party or gathering. As well, as the misunderstanding when those I care about don't understand the risk, and think I'm an alarmist, or a complainer, or just doing it for attention. 

Not participating in family events and social gatherings is NOT normal for me. So I'm going to do what I can to prepare ahead of time. Participate as much as I can. Limit myself where I need to.  Who knows, maybe I'll bring medical masks into fashion this season. 


My favorite Autumn walk in the woods.




No comments: