Thursday, January 22, 2015

Trading One's Health for Money


So you're at a party and you are introduced to some new people.  The "Jenny this is Joe and Sarah, Joe and Sarah this is Jenny" scenario. Almost every time, the next topic of conversation is "what do you do for a living?" The moment when everyone measures one another on the status scale and finds their place, or puts others in theirs. It's an odd ritual and I think it stinks, but it still happens a lot. I try not to play that game, but it's easy to get sucked in, thinking that you might actually get to know these new people in a meaningful way. 

The idea that your success as a person, is directly related to your success in your job, or that your personal identity is what you do for a living seems to be a normal way of defining ourselves in the USA. It is a powerful illusion, that if we can only get that job with the correct job title that sounds important, or make enough money, or have the most ecologically friendly job, then we’ll be successful. Hooey. What we do for a living is not who we are. That said I know that making a living in this world is a necessity and it's nice to eat, and have heat in our home. However, working extra long hours in jobs that make us unhappy, and/or unhealthy, for money or status is not right. 

Trading one's health for money seems to be the norm. People who have worked hard and long at jobs that don't allow taking time to eat right, or get a modicum of exercise, or spend time with our loved ones. Jobs so stressful that it leads to smoking or other bad choices that impact our health. I believe that a good work ethic and working hard are really great qualities to be valued and strived for. But, we have put so much importance on our job title, the dollar sign, and the status that we trade our health for a paycheck. What I do is not who or what I am. I am a lot of things besides what I do for my paycheck which, by the way, I'm very thankful for. My value as a human does not diminish when I take a step back from that illusion of success and put my health before status, my relationships before the dollar sign. 

I might be taking a chance. A big one. Now that I have a part time job, I have less medical coverage and it’s a bit scary. Here's the thing though, my health is better. I have been spending more time at the gym, getting home at a decent hour, eating on time, sleeping better and having more time to spend with my loved ones and kitties. I have been spending less time at the Doctor's office, less time commuting, not stress eating, and have been spending less money on gas and medication. I think it’s been a good trade off. So when I'm introduced at the next party and asked what I do, I'll say "I try to be healthy and happy, what do you do?”

No comments: