Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Rollercoaster and other stuff


In the career I now have, I see people healing from injuries, getting over or descending into disease or even just old age.  I see people who struggle with their identity when physical limitations change who they think they are, and I see that in myself as well. I now have some limitations that I'm learning about, changes I've had to make in my life to accommodate the things I need to do to stay as healthy as I can. 

I had "the penny drop" the other day when watching a person try to come to terms with their new limitations. In my situation, having Lupus, life is a lot like a rollercoaster ride; there are ups and downs, twists and turns, and a few scary parts. Sometimes it makes us exhilarated and sometimes makes us feel a little sick.  However, if we are brave enough, we can let go and put our hands in the air, let out a whoop, and enjoy the ride when we can.  I had a small attitude adjustment at that moment and started taking more joy in things, or enjoying the ride a bit more.  

So when I have to stay out of the sun, I have a crazy striped and polka dot umbrella with ruffles that I will be using for a parasol.  I'm going to wear cat ears once in a while, because it's silly and makes people smile.  I go swimming in an indoor pool to get exercise where I get to watch the kids play in the pool. When I can't go out in the sun, I sit in the window and let the sunlight warm me that way. My Dear Husband and I have been going out in the evenings together to avoid the sun and still get out of the house. I know these seem like small things, but I'm on the look out for more of my enjoyable Rollercoaster moments.  

Today, I'm going to get my hair cut, because it will make me feel pampered and I'll get the latest gossip from my hairdresser. 
*She puts her hands up and says Whoop!*


Here a few links that explains a little bit about Lupus and living with it.

http://gerberink.hubpages.com/hub/Lupus-Survival-Guide

http://www.lupus.org/answers/entry/explaining-lupus




No comments: