Sunday, September 11, 2016

When Judgey Judgers Judge

When Judgey Judgers Judge

While talking with some loved ones regarding how Lupus has changed my world and how I am adjusting, the question of "What are your biggest challenges?" came up.  I went through the normal list of things, the balancing act, trying to work, self care, medications, etc. You might know that story by now. But one of the things that I did mention got wide eyed astonishment. It's when judgey judgers judge. It's the judgment of others who know nothing about Lupus but seem to have an opinion about what I do to, or don't do to take care of myself. I guess it's one of the things that bothers me, A LOT, about having Lupus. I tend to tell people about my disease, because I feel if more people know about it, the more it will be less of a "thing", but I try not to dwell on it unless people genuinely ask for information. 


The judgment is weird though. For example, I might meet some new friends at a winery for a glass of wine. It's a great opportunity to learn about each other and get to know these new friends. Well, they want to sit outside on the patio. I voice my preference to sit inside, I'm out voted, we sit outside on the patio. I dive for the shady spot and keep scooting my chair around to keep in the shade throughout the visit.  Here come the "arched eyebrows" and the "eye rolls".  I might apologize and say "Sorry, I have to stay out of the sun, I have Lupus" but they most likely don't know what that means. I can see the retreat in their eyes. Often, I don't get invited next time.  The attitude that I am "high maintenance" or "attending seeking" is common. 

 I also feel the judgment when I have to dress to be out in the sun or in extreme temperatures (either hot or cold). Wearing a big hat, long sleeves, and long pants when it is a hot sunny day, makes a gal stand out. People ask, "Aren't you hot?". Yep, yep I am. If I bring a parasol to a public function, people think it's some kind of fashion statement.  I'm just trying to keep doing the things I love without getting sick.

Sometimes people are convinced that, my Doctors and I are choosing the poison of medication over some herbal remedy they read about on the inter-webs. I have actually tried several herbal remedies. They didn't work. Lupus is much bigger than that. I believe that finding my equilibrium with my health has taken several years, several doctors, several big life changes, a lot of hard work, and a very precise application of medication. It's taken a lot to get to this place. Now that I'm living at about a 80 to 90% of normal, I'm not going to mess this up.

The worst judgment comes from those in the medical field, whose job it is to take care of me. I spend a lot of time going to appointments and getting tests regularly to keep a handle on my health. I have to take medications regularly. I have pain and other symptoms that crop up often. The judgement from the nurse, or Urgent Care Doctor, or pharmacy assistant, sometimes makes me feel like a criminal. Many times they think I'm a drug seeker, even though I am not crazy about taking new medications. One of my symptoms is that I don't react well to medications and I tend to avoid starting anything new. When I do have to take something new, I start with a half dose to be sure I don't get into trouble.  But, I hear their leading questions, and I see them judging me. 

The thing is, we have all had those moments where we have judged others for their needs or necessary accommodation because it caused us a slight inconvenience or a change in our expectations or plans. Whether it's a disability, an illness, a food allergy, a diet regimen, or addiction recovery, I don't want to be that judgey judger who judges. 
So, I'm learning.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

So well stated, thank you so much for sharing. It is hood for you and good for others, please keep writing and sharing.

CyberPixy said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Hugs.